Monday, January 25, 2010

Book 7: The Catcher In The Rye.

Book 7: The Catcher In The Rye
By J.D. Salinger
Little, Brown and Company
1951
Rating:
3 if you just read it. 3.5-4 if you look at the meaning.


The professionals:
Novel by J.D. Salinger, published in 1951. The influential and widely acclaimed story details the two days in the life of 16-year-old Holden Caulfield after he has been expelled from prep school. Confused and disillusioned, he searches for truth and rails against the "phoniness" of the adult world. He ends up exhausted and emotionally ill, in a psychiatrist's office. After he recovers from his breakdown, Holden relates his
experiences to the reader. -- The Merriam-Webster Encyclopedia of Literature

My review and opinion:
I want to tell you that I like this book. I really do. *Note: I have about four chapters left until the end, which is about 50 pages all together. So no, I'm not done yet. If this book gets better in the next 50 pages, I'll let you know.* I think society hyped up this book on all of the psycology mumbo-jumbo. I really want to like this book. I just believe that society corups cretain things. Like this.
Finished it all of a minute ago, and I still didn't like it. I mean, I guess I enjoyed it a little, but not as much as everybody thought I would. There are a few hidden things that have been brought to my attention. The ducks in the pond are supposed to represent how Holden feels. He's not asking what happens to the ducks, he is asking what happens to himself. The red hunting cap becomes a security blanket of sorts. Sparknotes say a lot of this book. I think it was a little too.... I don't know.
I don't like the writting style, either. In fact, many people would agree that it is a terrible book just because of the way it is written.
Am I the only one who hates repedity? (Spealt wrog, I know. Is it actually a word?) The whole 'goddamn' thing and 'madman' got on my nerves.

I don't think it's all that bad, but not very good either.

No comments:

Post a Comment