Monday, June 21, 2010

Book 30: Maus

Book 30: Maus

By Art Spigelman.
Pantheon Books
1991
Rating:
4


Review. Thanks Amazon.com!

“A loving documentary and brutal fable, a mix of compassion and stoicism [that] sums up the experience of the Holocaust with as much power and as little pretension as any other work I can think of.”
–The New Republic
“A quiet triumph, moving and simple–impossible to describe accurately, and impossible to achieve in any medium but comics.”
–The Washington Post
“Spiegelman has turned the exuberant fantasy of comics inside out by giving us the most incredible fantasy in comics’ history: something that actually occurred…. The central relationship is not that of cat and mouse, but that of Art and Vladek. Maus is terrifying not for its brutality, but for its tenderness and guilt.”
–The New Yorker
“All too infrequently, a book comes along that’s as daring as it is acclaimed. Art Spiegelman’s Maus is just such a book.”
–Esquire
“An epic story told in tiny pictures.”
–The New York Times
“A remarkable work, awesome in its conception and execution… at one and the same time a novel, a documentary, a memoir, and a comic book. Brilliant, just brilliant.”
–Jules Feffer --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

What Do I Think?

Like many other books, I have read this and it's brother book many times. I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is my favorite graphic novel. Prove that there is a more interesting, captivating one out there.
Quite frankly, I could go on for hours about how much I appreciate this book. A good reviewist would do such, and I am not.
It's midnight, and I am sleepy. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment